TideWater DocentLaguna Ocean Foundation - Laguna Beach, CA
Reports to: Education and Outreach Coordinator
Location: Goff Island, Wood’s Cove, Shaw’s Cove North and South, and Crescent Bay South Rocky Intertidal Areas, and other locations as necessary, in Laguna Beach, CA
The TideWater Docent works within the Laguna Ocean Foundation’s Education Program and educates visitors of all ages about the tidepools, the plants/algae and animals that live there, and the proper way to explore this valuable ecosystem without harming the natural resources within the Laguna Beach Marine Reserve and Laguna Beach State Marine Conservation Areas. Shifts are scheduled during low tides on both weekdays and weekends, year-round.
- Provides onsite education to the general public by informing visitors of the flora and fauna of these rocky intertidal areas and interpreting the natural surroundings, including the ocean, geology, and surrounding habitats, as well as by directing the public to nearby points of interest.
- Provides interpretive information in a friendly, polite, and professional manner.
- Counts and records the total number of tidepool visitors.
- Interacts and cooperates with the City of Laguna Beach Marine Safety Department Lifeguards and Protection Officers for their enforcement of State and local laws, as well as patron safety. The TideWater Docent does not conduct enforcement activities.
- Promotes conservation efforts by increasing public awareness of the laws within Marine Protected Areas (MPAs) and the proper way to act in tidepools as defined by the “good tidepooler rules”.
- Interest in the natural world and enthusiasm for the environment.
- Enjoys teaching and interacting with the public.
- Enjoys being a proactive member of a team, including being dependable and responsible.
- TideWater Docents are representatives of Laguna Ocean Foundation and must maintain a professional appearance and demeanor at all times.
- Minimum 18 years of age.
- Performs according to the Docent Standards of Conduct.
- Communicates via email and accesses SignUp.com.
- Receives and follows directions from the Laguna Ocean Foundation’s Education and Leadership Manager.
- Ability to work outside in an uneven, rocky, wet, sandy and exposed environment with changing weather conditions.
- Performs duties in a safe manner, follows all protocols for safety, and chooses the safest
This is a non-paying part-time position (hours flexible). To apply please send a cover letter, resume, and your general schedule of availability to email@example.com with the subject line ‘TideWater Docent’.
Follow Us On Social:
1278 Glenneyre St., #133
Laguna Beach CA 92651