Reports to: Board of Directors
Classification: Part-time 50% (20 hours per week), exempt
Compensation: $35,000 – $40,000 annually
Locations: Remote office, and other locations as necessary
About Laguna Ocean Foundation:
Laguna Ocean Foundation (LOF) is a 501(c)3 non-profit founded in 2003 dedicated to optimizing the health of Laguna Beach’s vital coastal ecosystems through science, education, and community involvement.
LOF’s main programs are the Aliso Creek Estuary Restoration Program and the Education and Outreach Program. The Education and Outreach Program includes the Professional Educator Tidepool Interpretive program at three of the busiest coves in Laguna Beach; the Volunteer Tidewater Docent Program serving five other Laguna Beach Coves; and internships for college students.
Laguna Ocean Foundation (LOF) is seeking an experienced Managing Director (MD) to assist the Board of Directors (BOD) in fulfilling its goals and responsibilities and to strengthen and grow the foundation to the next level of organizational development and mission impact. The desired MD is a highly-organized and enterprising coordinator of people and projects. Key duties include administration and support of programs, staff, volunteers, and service providers, and pursuit of funding opportunities consistent with LOF’s mission and strategic planning.
The MD reports to the LOF BOD and attends LOF BOD meetings in Laguna Beach. The MD’s primary role is to effectively facilitate LOF’s daily management and activities of the LOF BOD, committees, and consultants, in alignment with implementation and adaptation of its strategic plan. Working from a home/personal office, other primary roles include grant writing, grant reporting, and fundraising, and coordination of communications, marketing, and public relations.
Along with an understanding of and a commitment to protection of our irreplaceable marine resources, the ideal candidate should demonstrate alignment with LOF’s core values and mission, possess an entrepreneurial spirit and strong organizational, leadership, and communication skills, and have administrative, budget management, and relationship management experience. Demonstrated experience leading and developing successful partnerships, strong experience in coalition-building in a transparent, common ground environment are required. A marine science background is a significant plus.
Executive Committee and Board of Directors Support
- Coordinate with Chair on BOD agenda, recommended actions, materials, and meeting logistics
- Provide general support to the BOD
- Provide reports and information as requested
- Conduct day-to-day administrative functions
- Provide oversight to contractors and consultants
- Serve as a resource and administrative support for LOF committees
Financial and Fundraising Support
- In coordination with the Treasurer and bookkeeper, maintain records for and monitor the organization’s operating budget, accounts payable and receivables, and associated financial reporting, and ensure consistency with financial reports on a monthly basis (budget, monthly cash flow, updated donor reports, donations, grants, etc.)
- Coordinate efforts to develop a master plan for fundraising and to meet required development revenue goals; measure and report on a quarterly basis
- Maintain the donor database and correspondence
- Identify and maintain fundraising materials
- Identify possible sources of earned revenue, grants, and funding opportunities in collaboration with the BOD
- Identify fundraising opportunities, contribute to the development of prospect lists, and coordinate follow‐up generated by BOD contacts with potential partners and funders
- Communicate with existing philanthropic partners and complete and/or coordinate required grant reports
Educator and Outreach Program
- Work with the Board Liaison and Coordinator to optimize program goals, budget, site coverage, Education and Outreach Program Committee meeting agendas, outreach events, and committee recommendations for board action
- Ensure current programs meet grant and donor requirements. Help align program goals with opportunities to advance funding through current and new sources
- Provide oversight to payroll and HR requirements, including employee onboarding, trainings, records, documents, handbooks, and insurance
Marketing, Outreach, Communications
- Under the direction of the BOD, provide assistance developing and executing programs and communications to increase and enhance LOF’s brand awareness, visibility, credibility, and funding
- Maintain and coordinate LOF’s public facing and collateral materials
- Ensure brand consistency in all marketing and communications, including electronic newsletters, social media, and strategic partner co-branding and communications, Board and committee communications; and community messaging
- Propose and support projects that advance LOF’s goals, promote community engagement, increase LOF’s credibility, and open and promote funding opportunities
- Identify potential projects in support of LOF’s mission, initiatives, and priorities
- Identify initiatives at public and private agencies for potential collaboration
- Maintain proactive positive communication within the organization, among stakeholders, and with the community
- Ability to work effectively and in collaboration with a Board of Directors to engage a wide range of stakeholders including advisory groups, coalitions, foundations, government agencies, corporate sponsors, and diverse groups of people
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and excellence in organizational and project management
- Ability to achieve strategic objectives and manage budgets
- Strong analytical skills, basic business intuition, and common sense
- Exceptional communication skills to work collaboratively with internal as well as external partners
- Technical proficiency in programs such as the Google suite of products (Gmail, Docs, Drive), Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint), bookkeeping, payroll, Zoom, and others
- Ability to manage multiple tasks
Reports to: Board of Directors
Compensation: Part-time exempt, 20 hours/week. Salary range is $35,000 – $40,000 annually commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Please submit a Laguna Ocean Foundation job application, resume, and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the email subject line, “Managing Director Position”.
In the cover letter, please summarize your experience with the following:
- Employee Management: Experience supervising and monitoring staff and consultants (such as committees, bookkeeper, CPA, and their meetings, calendars, and deadlines).
- Organizational Budget Experience: Oversight of the business side of the organization, beyond project budgets (such as financial statements, balance sheet, P&L, and payroll reports).
- Implementing Strategic Growth Initiatives: Developing and implementing a financial strategic plan. Please describe how you have advanced the growth of an enterprise over time (such as fundraising, finding donors, and recruiting volunteers).
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue through Thursday, March 28, 2022.
Follow Us On Social:
1278 Glenneyre St., #133
Laguna Beach CA 92651