Laguna Ocean Foundation
Managing Director – Part-time Position
About Laguna Ocean Foundation – lagunaoceanfoundation.org
Laguna Ocean Foundation is a 501(c)3 non-profit founded in 2003 dedicated to optimizing the health of Laguna Beach’s vital coastal ecosystems through science, education and community involvement.
LOF Programs Include:
- Aliso Creek Estuary Restoration Program
- Professional Educator Tidepool Interpretive programs at Treasure Island, Heisler Park and Crescent Bay North
- Volunteer Tidewater Docent Program serving five Laguna Beach Coves
- College student internships
Along with an understanding of and a commitment to protection of our irreplaceable marine resources, the ideal candidate should have demonstrated alignment with LOF’s core values and mission, possess an entrepreneurial spirit and strong organizational, leadership and communication skills with administrative, budget management, and relationship management experience. Demonstrated experience leading and developing successful partnerships, strong experience in coalition building in a transparent, common ground environment are required. Marine science background and grant writing ability are significant pluses.
Executive Committee and Board of Directors Support
- Coordinate meeting times, agenda, materials, meeting logistics and minutes
- Provide reports and information as requested; participate in conference calls
- Conduct day-to-day administrative functions
- Provide general support for the BOD
- Serve as a resource and administrative support for all LOF active committees and work groups
Financial Management and Fundraising Support
- In coordination with the Treasurer, maintain records for and monitor the organization’s operating budget, accounts payable and receivables and associated financial reporting
- Under direction of the Treasurer, ensure consistency with financial reports on a monthly basis, using information provided by the bookkeeper and Board Treasurer (budget, monthly cash flow, updated donor reports, donations, grants, etc.)
- Coordinate efforts to develop a master plan for fundraising and to meet required development revenue goals; measure and report on a quarterly basis
- Maintain the donor database and correspondence
- Identify and maintain fundraising materials
- Identify possible sources of earned revenue, grants, and funding in collaboration with the BOD.
- Contribute to the development of prospect lists, identify opportunities, coordinate follow‐up generated by BOD contacts with potential partners and funders
- Communicate with existing philanthropic partners and complete and/or coordinate required grant reports
Educator and Volunteer Management and Liaison
- Provide oversight for employees and volunteers and their scheduling within respective funding sources
- Provide oversight for contractors and consultants as needed
Marketing, Outreach and Communications
- Under the direction of the Board of Directors, and in coordination with the Marketing and Outreach workgroups, provide assistance developing and executing programs and communications to increase and enhance LOF’s visibility, credibility and funding support
- Maintain and organize LOF’s public facing and collateral materials
- Ensure brand consistency in all marketing and communications, including electronic newsletters, social media, and strategic partner co-branding and communications; Board and committee communications; and community engagement.
- Propose and support projects that would advance LOF’s goals, increase LOF’s credibility, engage LOF participants, and open and promote funding opportunities
- Identify potential projects in support of LOF mission, initiatives and priorities
- Identify initiatives at public or private agencies for possible collaboration
- Maintain proactive, positive communication within the organization and among stakeholders and the community
- Ability to work effectively and in collaboration with a Board of Directors to engage a wide range of stakeholders including advisory groups, coalitions, foundations, corporate sponsors and diverse groups of people
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and excellence in organizational and project management
- Ability to achieve strategic objectives and manage budgets
- Strong analytical skills, basic business intuition and common sense
- Exceptional communication skills to work collaboratively with internal as well as external partners
- Ability to manage multiple tasks
Reports to: Board of Directors
Compensation: Part time exempt, 20 hours/week. LOF offers competitive compensation, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Applicants with a strong desire and interest in marine ecosystems and protection from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. Please submit a resume and cover letter summarizing your experience and desire to work at Laguna Ocean Foundation to firstname.lastname@example.org with the email subject line “Managing Director position.” Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until April 10, 2020.